Thursday, December 16, 2010

Food food food

Now that I am no longer in school and working full time, I decided I want to be productive on my days off. So, I decided on my days off I shall  cook a new dish every week. Since I usually have two days off in a row, the first day I shall decide what I am going to cook and get the ingredients. The second day I will actually make it. Eventually, I will be moving out so I think I should learn to cook. Also, I am cheap and don't want to buy lunch when I am at work so when I have a day off I make a lot to bring to work :)

This is going to be an ongoing blog of my dishes that I make. I do not intend to make elaborate meals. Just simple, every day dishes. I am going to list everything I make (possibly the recipe too, if I'm not too lazy to type it out) Since I decided to make the blog after I've already started this plan of mine and have already made them, I can't attach pictures.

If anyone has any suggestions as to dishes I should make, please comment :)

Week one: Finnish Pancakes (crêpes) / Lettu

The recipe I used:

Ingredients:

  • 3 eggs
  • 1L milk
  • 1 tbs butter
  • 1cp oatmeal
  • 1tsp salt
  • 1tsp vanilla
  • 1cp flour (add more if needed to become thick) 

Directions:

Beat eggs until they become smooth and mixed. Add milk, salt, vanilla then mix. Add oatmeal and let soak. Add flour and beat well until smooth without lumps. Pour a thin layer batter on hot frying pan with butter. Lower heat a little bit. Flip and leave for shorter amount of time. Remove when browned (slightly crispy of desired)

alt. recipe: 2 eggs, 2tbs, 1ts salt, 2cp milk, 1.5cp flour and 1tbs butter.

Personally, I like to mix the two recipes together and alter as I see fit.

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEgGQFJPJWoi9P-5WH8kSL18euNXZUsHQ5QtejINej1yb6hYPLV-badTFR4MNALy4M3ePOU6KU0RPM5_tK_vL9X7GKA9NLw9hLxHOEHlpKu9rFX06v7gobBCIgdPpkhaJC1hyphenhyphenbR3R5lMGHzW/s400/P1070014.JPG

Week two: Corned beef and tomato on rice

I don't actually have a recipe for this since I just learned it by watching my dad make it like, once a week.

buuuut here is a link anyway: http://panlasangpinoy.com/2010/09/20/quick-and-easy-corned-beef-dinner/

I like to add a lot of cayenne and hot green chili peppers :)

Week three: Kaalilaatikko / Finnish Cabbage Casserole

I have my own recipe buuuuuuut I am too lazy to type it out so here is a link: http://www.kotikokki.net/reseptit/nayta/604/Kaalilaatikko

I guess if you're a finnish speaker, you're in luck. If not thennnnnn google translate. lol and if you'd like my recipe to make the link make more sense, then comment.

Recently I have been adding fresh herbs for the beef (rosemary, fresh ground pepper ... etc) and other vegetables (ex. bell peppers, chili peppers, zucchini ... etc)

Week four: Arroz Caldo / Filipino Chicken Rice Soup

Again, since I am too lazy to type my own recipe out, here is a link to one I found similar to the one I had growing up: http://lutongpinoy.info/chicken-arroz-caldo-recipe/

Only differences other than the amounts are: I used regular rice instead of sticky rice, didn't use chicken stock, forgot salt and pepper, used a lot of lemongrass, used turmeric for coloring and used green onion (in and on top) that's all I can think of.

Week five: Tinolang Manok / Filipino ginger chicken soup with chayote and cassava cake for dessert

For the tinolang manok the recipe I used was http://www.whats4eats.com/soups/tinolang-manok-recipe

I didn't make many changes to the original recipe. I added a fair bit more garlic and ginger because I really like ginger. I accidentally cut the ginger pieces too think so that is one thing I could improve on. I added more than 3 pounds of chicken ( about 3.5) and I did not take the skin off the chicken. I added a very little bit of cayenne pepper ( just a little for a little more taste. ) I added a fair bit more patis than it said because I have found most recipes do not put enough to my liking. For me, the decision turned well ( I did not measure how much, just poured ... lol ) And of course, instead of using papaya, I used chayote because I do not like papaya.

A few differences from their procedure were: I didn't take the chicken out after sautéing and I forgot to skim the top for fat and other undesirables. Overall I was please how it turned out. I did notice the broth was much too fatty and oily however it was still enjoyable.

As for the cassava cake I decided to use this recipe:http://www.pinoyrecipe.net/cassava-cake-recipe/

Since I am not one with baking, I decided not to mess around with the recipe at all. One thing I did notice however was the timing. I had it in for approximately double the time given. **note** While it took more than the recommended time, I also kinda burned it so I would shave about 10 min off my baking time bringing it down to ~ 100 - 110 minutes.

After letting it cool a bit, I tried it. It tasted a lot more "coconuty" than I had ever had before. I think the recipe called for too much coconut ie. coconut milk, cocount cream and grated coconut. Personally, I would use less coconut if I were to make it again. Also, it was a lot sweeter than I'd ever had before. Personally, I am not one that likes things very sweet so maybe that is why I have a problem with it. Overall it was not bad. I overcooked it a little and it was a little too sweet for me however I was still able to enjoy my (small) piece.

Week Six: I no longer get 2 days off in a row so, postponed until then.

No comments: